To celebrate the ending of winter a simple, earthy and careless beef stew. Inspired by Jamie Oliver, I follow his direction to not brown the meat and it worked perfectly.
It can be assembled in few minutes and then let it simmer slowly for hours. It’a family favorite!
1 kg beef for stews, in chunks
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons of flour
6 carrots, peeled and quartered
2 parsnips, peeled and quartered
2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 glasses robust red wine
1 lt broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 little branch rosemary
2 garlic cloves
Rind of half a lemon
For 6 to 8 people
- Chop the onion.
- Put the beef chunks in a freezer bag, along with the flour, and shake well.
- In a big and sturdy stewing pan, gently hot the oil and sauté the onion.
- Add the beef and the vegetable, pour in the wine, the broth, the tomato purée and a little salt&pepper.
- Let it simmer for a few hours, from 2 to 4, stirring occasionally.
- Before to serve it, finely chop rosemary, garlic and lemon rind and sprinkle it over.