I love Greece and every year, when summer comes, I think about it and how much I would love to go back!
So I try to sunken myself in Greek recipes! This combination, feta cheese and spinach, just scream Greece, and the fillo pastry, with its crunchiness is perfect!
1 pack frozen fillo pastry, thawed following the manufactures instructions
1 shallots or 1 little onion
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 kg fresh spinach
1 handful raisins
1 handful pine nuts
200 g of feta cheese
50 ml milk
50 g butter
For 6 people as starter, 2 as main dish
- Pre-heat the oven at 180° C.
- Finely chop shallot or onion.
- In a big pan fry the chopped shallot or onion, then add all the spinach: it will look like too much, but believe me, they will fit once cooked. Cover with a lid.
- After a few minutes, when spinach are reduce, add raisins and cook for few more minutes. Remove from the eat and add pine nuts.
- In a bowl mix spinach, crumbled feta and 2 eggs.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter with the milk. Let it cool.
- Brush the bottom and the sides of a cake tin with some butter and milk.
- Open the fillo pastry, take 4 sheets and let the rest under a damp tea towel.
- With your 4 sheets, cover the bottom and the sides of the cake tin.
- Add half of your spinach, cover with more sheets of fillo pastry, add the rest of the spinach.
- Fold all the over layer of fillo pastry inside your cake tin, add two more sheets and fold them to fit the size of the cake tin.
- Brush with loads of milk and butter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Serve still warm.